(KAUA‘I, Hawaii) – Months of anticipation surrounding the formerly named Kauai Lagoons property in Kaua‘i’s Lihue/Kalapaki area ended today when boutique developer and operator Timbers Resorts unveiled plans for a spectacular, 450-acre resort-residential development named Hōkūala (“rising star” in Hawaiian).
Hōkūala will include renovation of the sensational 18-hole, Jack Nicklaus Signature Ocean Course (formerly named Kiele) – home to the longest continuous stretch of oceanfront golf than any other course in Hawaii – a private residence club, luxury whole ownership residences, custom golf course home sites, a retail shopping village and a boutique hotel featuring a destination spa, multiple dining options, extensive pools and multiple wedding venues.
Construction and renovation will begin in December at the oceanfront property, starting with Timbers Kaua‘i – Ocean Club & Residences. Ocean Course renovation will begin in 2016.
“Timbers Resorts embraced a wonderful opportunity, and Hōkūala will be an idyllic location for people to immerse themselves in our breath-taking beauty and awe-inspiring golf and beaches,” said Kauai Visitors Bureau Executive Director Sue Kanoho. “The Ocean Course at Hōkūala complements our collection of top courses that includes Poipu Bay, Princeville Makai, Puakea and Wailua.”
About Kaua‘i Golf
Kaua‘i offers more than 50 miles of white sand beaches -- more beach per mile than any other island in Hawaii – with only five percent of the island developed for commercial and residential use. Kaua‘i Golf (www.golfkauaihawaii.com) is a destination with 5 world-class golf courses and 3 award-winning resorts.
Princeville Makai Golf Club (www.makaigolf.com)
• Re-opened in 2010 following an extensive renovation. The Makai Course has since been ranked by Golf Digest as one of "America's 100 Greatest Public Golf Courses" 2015 and ranked No. 4 by Golfweek in Hawaii’s “Best Courses You Can Play” 2015.
• Designed by Robert Trent Jones, Jr., the 18-hole Makai Course incorporates serene lakes and stunning ocean coastline; the leisurely 9-hole Woods Course winds through native woodlands against a backdrop of lush mountains
• The St. Regis Princeville Resort is home to the Halele’a Spa and The Kaua‘i Grill by Jean-Georges Vongerichten
The Ocean Course at Hōkūala (www.hokualakauai.com)
• In 2015 was voted No. 10 in Hawaii in Golfweek magazine’s “Best Courses You Can Play” by State. It has also been named one of the “World’s Most Beautiful Golf Courses” by MSN Travel.
• The championship 18-hole Ocean Course features the longest continuous stretch of ocean holes in Hawaii with over ½ mile of oceanfront golf.
• The front nine holes are highlighted by the par-3, fifth green encircled by a tropical Mango and Guava tree forest.
• The only Jack Nicklaus Signature Golf experience on Kaua‘i. Enhancements commence in 2016.
Poipu Bay Golf Course (www.poipubaygolf.com)
• Along with Grand Hyatt Kaua‘i Resort & Spa, Poipu Bay has been honored by Conde Nast Traveler as one of the top golf resorts in the U.S.
• Named to Golf Digest's "America's 100 Greatest Public Golf Courses" 2013-2014 and Golfweek’s “Americaʻs Top 100 Resort Courses” 2015
Home to the PGA Grand Slam of Golf from 1994 through 2006, it has frequently hosted players like Tiger Woods, Phil Mickelson, Vijay Singh and other major champions
A Robert Trent Jones, Jr. design, the course underwent renovation and unveiled the eco-friendly Seashore Paspalum turf on all greens in 2011. Its four closing holes play atop a 150-foot sea cliff.
• The Grand Hyatt Kaua‘i Resort & Spa completed a renovation in 2012 and features a water playground with river pool, waterfalls, a saltwater lagoon, tennis and the celebrated Anara Spa
Puakea Golf Course (www.puakeagolf.com)
• Consistently rated a favorite among Kaua‘i golfers in local media outlets and ranked as the No. 15 course in Hawaii by Golfweek
• Golf Course Architect Robin Nelson used the natural layout of the land when he planned the course, testing all levels of play
• Puakea's 18 holes treat golfers to beautiful views of Mt. Ha'upu and deep lush ravines on several holes, which served as the backdrop to the original Jurassic Park movie
• Owned by AOL co-Founder Steve Case
Wailua Golf Course (www.golfkauaihawaii.com/wailua-golf-club)
• Regarded as one of the most beautiful municipal courses in the U.S., Wailua was recently named the No. 3 public course in Hawaii by Golf Channel
• The course’s original holes date back to the 1920’s. The course expanded to 18 holes in 1962 under the direction of Hawaii Golf Hall of Famer Toyo Shirai.
• Easily accessible from the Lihue airport, the scenic public course is a favorite of island golfers and tourists alike.
For more information on golf on Kaua’i and to stay up-to-date on the latest news and happenings, visit www.golfkauaihawaii.com.